Hi everyone

My life can be messy at times, but it can be pretty fun too. This is a blog of my thoughts and my everyday life. Enyoy yourself!

8/11/2008

I respect your choice but please dont act ignorant!

I am a breastfeeding mom of four. I don't have and never had anything against formula feeding moms. If you are I can see your point . If you are the one taking care of the baby and you are the one feeding him , well of course ITS YOUR CHOICE.

I know breastfeeding can be hard. I used both breastmilk and formula with my oldest for a few months because it was too hard for me...then at two month i decided I wanted to Breastfeed exclusively so I did till Gab was 10 months when she bit me. And that was enough reason for me to stop cold turkey. It wasn't the best decision, but that's what i did.

I gave up with my second daughter as well. She was too demanding. Until the doctor said she couldn't tolerate anything but breastmilk and I had to start over again, after a month of having weaned, and I breastfeed her till 18 months. I breastfeed my oldest boy 16 mos and currently breastfeeding my 30 months boy , and I am pretty proud of it.

As you can see I understand you, and I respect you, but what I can not stand Its IGNORANCE. THIS VENT ITS NOT ABOUT FORMULA FEEDING MOMS. ITS ABOUT THE ONES WHO DARE TO SAY THAT FORMULA AND BREASTMILK IS THE SAME.

Breastmilk its not the same as formula. It doesn't have the same ingredients. It doesn't loose its nutritional value over time. Please don't repeat what you heard somewhere, what your mom said, what your friend said, what your ignorant doctor said (it must be ignorant to go against the AAP ) , or the opinion you formed to convince yourself that formula is the best for your child so you don't feel guilty. If you have really done only a minimal research on the subject, you will notice, that even in formula cans its written the words "breast is best".

Don't be offended when you see posters saying that breast is best or when somebody talks about the benefits of breastfeeding. It doesnt matter how many tantrums you throw over this, you will not change the facts that breast is best.

BREASTFEDING

  • Have at least 100 ingredients that FORMULA DOESN'T HAVE
  • provides protection against illnesses (not only the colostrum), For mommy and for baby.
  • have emotional benefits as well for mom and for baby
  • healthier babies (if your son its healthy just imagine how healthier he'll be if he was breastfeed)
  • smarter babies (Of course genetics play a mayor role in intelligence but your baby may be smarter than your friend's breastfeed baby. Just imagine how much smarter he would be if you had breastfeed him and how much dumber your friend's baby would be if she haven't)
  • Help in the formation of teeth
  • its cheaper
  • its easier to prepare
  • it comes on very nice bottles
  • etc.

If you formula feed you have all the right to be proud about it. Why not? You have all the right to brag about how healthy and smart is your baby. You don't have to be ashamed of your decision, but please accept the fact that breast is best.


Do you really believe you know more than the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the World Health Organization?

So please learn to accept the reality, don't get mad at WIC or the lactation consultant at the hospital, because all they want it whats BEST for your baby, Don't get mad at any friend who wants you to try breastfeeding, because no matter how much you complain. breastfeeding will STILL being BEST for babies.

http://www.promom.org/101/

No comments:

201d's undeniable logic/the hubby's blog